Monday, November 10, 2008

For the first time...

...in my life I am actually afraid to change code.

I've been given a task. A simple task:

  • add a column to a database table (in dev)
  • update the code where that table is queried and inserted into to account for the new column
The rub? There are no existing tests. I have no idea of the current functionality of this code. That means I'll no idea if I've broken existing functionality...

Another win for best practices and another loss for my new job. Unit tests and TDD go a long way to help any, and I mean ALMOST ANY, new member of your team add value to the current system.

No need to worry though, I've been assured by the lead on this that :
Don't worry! It will go to test before it is released!
Why do I not feel any better?

Until next time
Les

1 comment:

garrick & grace said...

Um. I give specs like this everyday. Flying by the seat of your pants is fun. Life would be boring if we knew the outcome.